Saturday 2 June 2007

My Dad

I have just been for a 55 minute run. Exhaustion and heat has forced me back in. In truth I was running away. My father is sick. Real sick. He had a stroke. This is my Superman, and now he is a babbling wreck. He recognises us but does not know our names. He cannot smile, nor does he want to. He doesn't know what is wrong, because he is so incoherent he can't comprehend. I am helpless. I have never ever imagined any of my parents like this. He doesn't know his name, his date of birth, my nephew's names. I am devastated. I would give anything in the world to make him better. I can't eat, I am numb. He is a child again. When somebody asks him a question he looks to us to answer. If he does answer it is a bunch of incomprehensible numbers. I have not cried, I am thankful he is alive.

I found him, I had to dress him and call an ambulance. I vomited when the doctor told me he had had a stroke. I had nobody to lean on, I was alone because everybody else was somewhere else through no choice of their own.

I am afraid.

5 comments:

Bittersweet said...

oh, babe. i am so so sorry. can't express what i what to say to you, not here anyway, but please know i am thinking of you, and sending all my heartfelt best wishes to you and your family.

todaysdaze said...

You poor thing, finding your dad like that must have been very scary.
My Dad had a mini stroke just before I left for America which affected his vision. He was my hero when I was a child and still is to this day. I am happy to say he is fully recovered now although he has to have regular check ups and is on medication for the rest of his life.
I wish you and your family all the best and hope your Dad recovers soon, back to the man you all know and love.
Keep your chin up TP

Timbo said...

Oh you poor thing, that's so terrible.

I really don't know what to say, but I will be thinking of you and your dad, and I hope that things get easier.

Love, Timbo x

thinkpink said...

Thank you all for your kind
comments. xx

Anonymous said...

How awful. :( I hope he recovers quickly. Be strong for your dad, but don't forget to find someone you can lean on for this, too.